Essential Pet Care Advice: 5 Key Insights from Veterinarians for Pet Parents
1. Establish Boundaries and Teach Behavior- When you welcome a pet into your home, you assume the role of a caregiver in every aspect. It’s important to not only fulfill their physical needs but also educate them about essential house rules and basic behavior. This encompasses teaching them litter training, instilling proper habits and routines, and clearly defining restricted areas within your home. If you require assistance, consider seeking guidance from a reputable trainer who can provide valuable advice or even train your pet, helping you address any concerning behavior promptly. By setting boundaries and teaching appropriate behavior early on, you create a harmonious living environment for both you and your pet.
2. Ensure a good diet – While this might seem obvious, the reality is that in a large number of Indian households, there is a severe lack of awareness regarding food that our pets can have. Human food, especially, is not meant for them at all, and the spices, oils, and other ingredients could harm them irreparably. Hence, it is always a good idea to consult with an experienced pet nutritionist, who can help you understand all the different things your pet needs, the ones that they can’t have, and create the best possible diet for them, that is affordable and convenient for you too!
3. Decide upon a good veterinarian – Just like for us humans, our family physicians are our go-to first contact for any health concerns, our animal friends also need a reliable and trusted doctor at hand. In fact, finding a good veterinarian is a critical decision, an investment in the future of our pets, as well as ourselves. Pet parents should conduct their own research into available, licensed veterinarians, cross referencing them with reviews and referrals from friends and family, before making their decisions.
4. Provide Companionship and Care– Although the pandemic initially led to a surge in pet adoptions, the subsequent reopening of offices and schools created challenges for many furry companions. As a responsible pet parent, it’s crucial to acknowledge the importance of your role. Consider locating reliable and cost-effective boarding and grooming facilities that can offer expert care for your pet during your busy schedules. This ensures your beloved companion receives the attention and companionship they need when you are unable to be with them.
5. Consider your options while adopting – While a lot of brands and shops offer exotic dogs, cats, and more, it is always better if you could adopt one from a shelter instead. An entire world of wonderfully loving animals waits patiently for someone to choose them instead, at shelters all over. Just remember to adopt from a reputable organisation, taking some time to get to know it and all of its policies and practices, and make sure to get all the details needed, including the animal’s medical records, no matter how young or old they are.